By Junaid Ali Qureshi
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an important step if you want to get more traffic and improve sales at your ecommerce website. Ecommerce SEO is a way to increase the visibility of your online store in search engine result pages (SERPs).
Ecommerce SEO involves optimizing your product descriptions, headlines, internal link structure, headlines, user experience, meta data and navigational structure for search. All products you sell should have a dedicate page to draw traffic from search engines. You can use tools like Ubersuggest to help you search for effective long-tail keywords you can use on your ecommerce website.
Many customers perform Google searches when they want to get options, comparisons, tips and information that would help them make purchasing decisions. If your website does not appear in search engines you will lose access to interested customers. With SEO, you can reach your target audience without paying for ads.
HOW TO DEVELOP AN SEO STRATEGY
- Create a workflow: Do develop an SEO strategy you have to choose keywords, add meta data, incorporate related keywords and naming your images.
- Prioritize pages: Prioritize the pages on your website that get the most traffic. You should optimize products that you want people to focus on.
- Monitor the competition: You should design your SEO strategy to be better than that of your competitors. Learn from your competitors mistakes.
DO’S OF OPTIMIZING YOUR ECOMMERCE WEBSITE
- Keyword research: You can optimize your ecommerce website by doing a keyword research. There is ecommerce development company that can help you do a keyword research for your ecommerce website. All pages on your website will be listed and the appropriate keyword will be used. The category page and the product page must be optimized in your ecommerce website if you want to get good results.
You should get an inventory of all pages on your ecommerce website. You should also optimize the most important pages on your website. You can use Ahrefs Site Explorer to map keywords on all pages on your ecommerce website.
- On-page SEO: It is important that you optimize your meta titles, description and HI’s. Unique templates should be created for your ecommerce website. Do not use a template approach while designing your ecommerce website as it will make it difficult for you to optimize every page.
When you want to write ecommerce URLs, you should keep it short, have a clear hierarchy, use long tail keywords and include your primary keyword. Make sure your products and categories have unique descriptions so that Google can understand your page and your customers can know more about your products and services.
Ecommerce development companies can add a schema markup to your ecommerce website. This will increase sales, traffic and click-through rate (CTR) on your ecommerce website. According to Webmaster Guidelines, “Add markup to your product pages so Google can provide detailed product information in rich search results – including Image Search. Users can see price, availability, and review ratings right on Search results.”
- Content marketing: It is important that you create content that is link worthy. You should create and add relevant internal links. For content marketing your plan has to include understanding your content goals, creating appealing content, identifying your client, optimizing your content, reaching out to influencers, scheduling your content, using good content frameworks and promoting your content.
- Link building: To optimize your website you can get links from forums, niche directories and link pages. You can also try to get featured on manufacturers pages.
- Page speed: The ecommerce website page speed will improve when you make use of SEO. A fast website will help you achieve your ecommerce goals.
- Unique product descriptions: You should not use the same descriptions for the products in your ecommerce website. Using the same description will affect your search engine rankings. All products on your ecommerce website must have a unique content.
- Test: To optimize your ecommerce website you have to test different variations and know the one that will help you achieve your business goals. You can use tools like Optimizely and Optimize to know the profitable paths you can take in your ecommerce website.
- Allowing customer reviews: Allowing customer reviews on your ecommerce website is a way for you to get valuable feedback on your website. Reviews will give you fresh content and they can increase sales and conversion on your ecommerce website.
- Mobile optimized: You can optimize your website by making sure it works properly on mobile devices. Make sure your ecommerce website is mobile-optimized.
- User experience: Improving the user experience on your ecommerce website will help customers navigate your website.
- Monitor your backlinks: Monitoring the backlinks on your ecommerce website with tools such as Monitor Backlinks SEO tool will help you optimize your website.
- Create a sitemap: Search engines will be able to index and crawl your ecommerce website when you create a sitemap.
- Engaging and valuable content: You should have content on your ecommerce website that is engaging and valuable as this will help you get traffic, sales and conversions.
- Consistent messaging: You should be consistent in the message you post on all social channels and in your product descriptions. It is important that the structure of your website is SEO friendly.
- Get backlinks from relevant websites: Getting backlinks from credible and relevant websites is an important way to optimize your ecommerce website. Getting backlinks is an effective way to get organic traffic.
TIPS TO GET QUALITY BACKLINKS
- Create amazing content: To get quality backlinks you have to create amazing content for your ecommerce website. According to Neil Patel, “Create a site with high value information that elicits links by virtue of its awesomeness. That, my friends is content marketing.”
- Be an ultimate guide and an authority in the industry: Be the voice in your industry. You should understand your buyers and create a buyer persona. Try to automate your outreach.
Write guest blog posts: You can write guest posts on social media platforms fro websites that accept guest post. According to Crazyegg, “Guest posting is the practice of contributing free content to another website or blog in exchange for a link back to your own site.” You can get quality backlinks by writing guests posts. Be cordial with guest sites and try to create a mutually beneficial relationship.
- Comparison content: Comparison content is a good way to get content as it is a conversion tool. It makes it easy for customers to see the strength and weakness of products on an ecommerce website.
- Expert roundup: You can you expert roundups to attract quality backlinks, perform outreach, build relationships and get social shares. Expert roundups will introduce your ecommerce website to influencers and industry experts. When using expert roundups you should avoid closed questions and complex answers.
- Learn from your competitors: With Ahrefs, you can know more about your competitors. You can know where they get their backlinks from. You can also use Open Site Explorer or Majestic SEO’s link to tool to learn about your competitors.
- Fix broken links: You can get backlinks from fixing broken links. Tools like “Broken Link Check” can help you get quality backlinks and optimize your ecommerce website.
- Being helpful on forums: Being helpful and contributing on forum can help you create quality backlinks.
- Make sure your products are reviewed: Familiarize yourself with bloggers in your niche and communicate with them about reviewing your product. This is a way to get backlinks.
- Infographics: Infographics can help you get backlinks. Websites like AmazingInfoGraphics.com gives you a platform to share your compelling infographics.
- Profile creation: You can get quality backlinks by creating a business profile on specific websites.
- Use the press: You can use the press to get quality backlinks.
- Posting on Reddit and Digg: Reddit and Digg accommodate different types of content and they can help you publicize your ecommerce website and get quality backlinks.
- Social media links: You should include links to your ecommerce website on your social media profiles.
- Microblogging: You can get quality backlinks by engaging in microblogging.
DON’TS OF OPTIMIZING YOUR ECOMMERCE WEBSITE
- Keyword stuffing: It is important that you avoid keyword stuffing in your ecommerce website. As this will affect your website growth and development.
- Irrelevant links: Your ecommerce website will be penalized if you get links from website that are not related to yours.
- Do not link to penalized websites: You should not link to penalized websites as it will affect your website and your search engines ranking.
- Avoid cloaking techniques and doorway pages: Ecommerce websites that make use of doorway pages and cloaking techniques are devalued by Google so you should avoid them.
- Do not create irrelevant content: You should not post content on your ecommerce website that is not related to your ecommerce website.
- Do not buy backlinks: There are many firms that claim that they will improve your SEO astronomically. Many of these firms are lying and they rely on shady tactics. Buying backlinks will negatively impact your SEO.
- Do not get links from blogs: When you are caught getting links from blogs you will be penalized by Google.
- Using automated description generators: Your search engine ranking and engagement rate will be affected when you make use of automated description generators.
- Do not steal product descriptions: Stealing product descriptions from other websites impacts your SEO negatively and dampens your authenticity.
- Do not sell dofollow links: If you sell dofollow links; your ecommerce website will be penalized.
- Do not plagiarize: It is important that you not duplicate content from other websites.
- Sitewide backlinks: Your ecommerce website will be penalized by search engines if you have sitewide backlinks.
- Over optimizing anchor texts: Your ecommerce website will be penalized if your anchor text is over optimized.
- Using hidden text and links: It is important that you avoid using hidden text and links as they will get you penalized and affect your search engine rankings.
Junaid Ali Qureshi is an ecommerce entrepreneur with a passion for emerging tech marketing and ecommerce development. Some of his current ventures include Progos Tech (an ecommerce development company) , Elabelz.com , Titan Tech and Smart Marketing .