If you want to sustain your business you should acknowledge that the marketplace is complex. There are many involved in trying to improve their web traffic and if you make SEO mistakes your business will be affected negatively and your audiences will go to your competitors.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is very important in e-commerce as it can help you generate traffic, conversion and sales. Having unique and high quality content will set your website apart from others and you will be able to reach your target audience.
If you want to promote your business you have to pay attention to search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is an effective strategy that you can use to generate traffic to your website. To improve your site traffic and increase your return on investment (ROI) you have to avoid certain mistakes.
MISTAKES SEO SPECIALIST MUST AVOID
- Duplicate content: A big mistake that SEO specialist make is the duplicating the content of others and saying it is their own. Duplicating content can negatively affect your e-commerce. Search engines have gotten smarter and if they notice that people are moving away from your site due to poor quality content then your search engine ranking will be affected and you will be penalized for plagiarism.
Before you write content on e-commerce you should make sure you do a thorough research. Avoiding duplicate content is important in e-commerce development. You should take your audience into consideration, create original content, think about topics, think about keywords and focus on facts. If you cannot write content on your own then you can work with reliable SEO writers who know how to create quality content.
- Wrong use of keywords: Keywords are important in SEO and they are constantly being analyzed by search engine crawlers. Using the wrong keywords will lead your audience to unprofitable results, it will affect your ranking and it will affect your profit. Make sure you do keyword research. It is highly recommended that you use Google Keyword Planner to research the keywords you want to use for your website
Using the right keyword on your e-commerce website will help your audience quickly locate what they are looking for. You should pay attention to keyword research if you want to improve your SEO strategy as the right keyword will improve your website ranking.
Avoid keyword stuffing as it is unethical and you will be penalized and blacklisted if you are caught. You should create innovative and valuable content for your audiences and you should use keywords appropriately.
You should choose keywords that are properly targeted so that you will maximize your exposure and target the right audience. When you use the wrong keywords your visitors will not convert. SEO specialist sometimes make mistakes like ignoring Adword value, not segmenting search volumes, ignoring click through rates, allocating keywords to irrelevant content, over reliance on high volume phrases and choosing keywords that are irrelevant. An e-commerce development company can help you choose the right keywords for your e-commerce site.
- Writing little and irrelevant content: Content is an important factor today as it helps you differentiate your business from others. Content helps you position your brand and it defines your business. Quality content on your e-commerce site can include blogs, quizzes, tutorials, checklists and so on. Customers will visit your site if you consistently provide quality content. Low quality content will affect your business and high quality content will improve your business.
Many SEO specialists make the mistake of writing articles and posts that are little and irrelevant. Articles and posts with less than 300 words do not really foster loyalty and engage your audience. Your site ranking will be negatively affected if you consistently post little or irrelevant content.
Do not just write content for content sake. You should do your research before you post content on your e-commerce site. Make sure your content is unique, relevant and valuable. You should also invest in long form contents.
- Having an undefined audience: A proper marketing campaign focuses on a well-defined audience. If you want to reach the right people in e-commerce you have to define your target audience. According to Hannah Johnson, “Start imaging your ideal customer.” Information such as gender, geographical location, educational level, financial situation, the needs of the customer and the problems of the customer will help you define your audience.
Sales, traffic and conversion on an e-commerce business will be negatively affected when there is an undefined audience. Not having a strategy on how to reach your audience is a mistake SEO specialist must avoid. SEO specialist should promote content as the business will suffer if you cannot meet your audience with your content.
Strategies that can help you reach your audience include paid social campaigns, link building, targeted sharing and using influencers.
Your business will be successful if you avoid these SEO mistakes.
Other mistakes SEO specialist must avoid include:
- No mobile optimization: We live in the mobile era and more people now access the internet from their mobile devices. Google has stated the mobile optimization is an important criteria for all sites. For your e-commerce site to rank in search engines you must engage in mobile optimization. You can enlist an e-commerce development company to help your website get mobile optimization.
- Forgetting sitemap: Sitemaps increase the visibility of your website on search engines and they also help you with routing. With sitemaps, search engines will be updated when you make changes to your website and they will index changes to your site quickly.
If you do not have sitemaps on your e-commerce website then the success of your e-commerce website will be limited.
- Long and bogus URL: The domain name of your business should be easy to read, type and pronounce. It should not be cluttered so that the visitors to your e-commerce site will not be confused.
Your domain title should be short, concise and it should be related to your business and content.
- Low social media presence: Not promoting your business on social media is a big mistake that must be avoided by SEO specialists. A good social media marketing strategy is important as it boosts your business and overcomes SEO mistakes.
Your business will gain positively from search engines if you have a strong social engagement.
- Site errors: SEO specialists have to be careful and make sure their audiences do not encounter errors on the e-commerce site. Errors are penalized by search engines and having broken, harmful or misleading links will affect your e-commerce business and will lead to a decrease in your search engine ranking.
It is important that you pay attention to the health of your website by using the various SEO mistake checker tools that are available.
- Analytics: Analytics is important in SEO and your business should consistently analyze and measure its performance to know if it is meeting its goals.
Google Analytics will help you see your SEO mistakes and you will have a way to solve your e-commerce problems. Your actions will be unpredictable and unprofitable if you do not optimize, analyze and scale your SEO strategy.
- Slow loading pages: Speed matters a lot and it is important that your e-commerce site loads quickly as having a slow loading page is an expensive mistake that will negatively impact your business.
Speed is part of Google’s ranking algorithm and a fast site will improve the experience of your audience and will increase your conversion rate.
- Forgetting local: SEO specialist should not forget local. Local SEO is important as it has high conversion and it can help your e-commerce business reach your target audience.
- Poor internal links: SEO strategists should avoid having poor internal links as this will affect their e-commerce site. Good internal links on your e-commerce site will spread authority to your webpages, provide pathways to conversion pages, organize your webpages categorically, communicate your webpage to search engine crawlers and provide interactive materials for your audiences.
- Low quality on-site SEO: Many businesses fail to optimize on-site SEO and this is bad for business. When you create a page on your e-commerce site you must properly optimize the page, optimize title tags and optimize meta descriptions.
On-site optimization helps search engines to understand your e-commerce site and you should note that Meta keywords and content headings are important in SEO optimization.
You must understand SEO if you want to take your business to the next level.
Junaid Ali Qureshi is an ecommerce entrepreneur with a passion for tech and marketing. Some of his current ventures include Elabelz.com, Progos Tech, Titan Tech and Smart Marketing.